Thursday, March 17, 2011

This one time, my little brother & I went to Ireland.


We acquired the gift of gab on our tour through the magical land of Blarney. But fortunately for you, I had a camera with me, so I'll summarize each thousand words with a picture:
1st stop: Dublin

We rented a car, which I immediately drove the wrong direction around a traffic circle. Apparently, the Irish drive on the other side of the road. (Look left!)




This was one of the few meals that we ate which wasn't heavily composed of the protein bars and fruit snacks I packed in my suitcase. Food in Ireland is crazy expensive.

The next day, we drove to Glendalough and stayed in a hostel among the ruins of an ancient monastery (and some sheep).


 


  

(This is, perhaps, my favorite picture ever.)

The best part about staying at hostels is that they have kitchens. Whenever I travel, the ability to cook my own meal is the first thing I start to miss. I know, I'm weird. (This is also about the time when Matt started to get annoyed by how many pictures I was taking.)

We then drove to Cork via County Kilkenny, hoping to tour their famous castle . . .

. . .  but their public sector was on strike.
Even the angst in Ireland is kind of artsy.
Live music & Irish brew . . . When in Rome!

Yes, I kissed the Blarney Stone.


 



During our trip, Ireland experienced the worst flooding they'd had in decades. We spent about 30 minutes deciding whether or not to try to drive through this . . . and were sufficiently deterred by our €3000 deductible.

But the detours were pretty.

Cliffs of Moher - it's easy to see why these have inspired so much poetry.


I
love
my camera's self-timer (and my little brother)!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment