Tuesday, February 1, 2011

An ongoing conversation.

Last fall, I went to a concert (alone, because I'm an INFJ and that's the type of thing we do when we want to be around people because they're fascinating but don't actually want to have a conversation). One of the performers was a twenty-something year old man who seemed to have a lot to say about broken hearts and unfaithful friends. During one particularly dramatic song, he stopped, looked out at the crowd, and said:
"If you write songs for a living, then when you write about something that was emotionally traumatic for you, every time you sing it's like punching yourself in the face."
Then he proceeded to sing a song that was entirely fictional, but which had a much happier ending:





My point: writing is personal.


###


Shortly thereafter, I met up with my book club to discuss Gaudium et Spes. I was struck by this passage:
"38. For God's Word, through Whom all things were made, was Himself made flesh and dwelt on the earth of men. Thus He entered the world's history as a perfect man, taking that history up into Himself and summarizing it. He Himself revealed to us that "God is Love" (1 John 4;8) and at the same time taught us that the new command of love was the basic law of human perfection and hence of the world's transformation." (emphasis added)
Do you know what that means? That means that God is a writer.


All writing is a reflection of the mind of it's author. If I write something that I believe is true and you read it, you are getting some insight into how I view the world. If you read enough of what I write, then you will begin to recognize my voice. You'll start to know the quirky ways that I describe things, and you'll start to be able to guess my views on a variety of topics (even if we've never spoken about those things before). And if I'm an honest enough writer, you can begin to know me.


So, back to the Word which was with God in the beginning, and which was also God:


I've probably read that passage in John a hundred times, but I'd never thought about God as Author. Trinitarian theology makes it clear that Jesus is God. But we can't interact with God in a tangible, knowable fashion the way that we can with other humans. So by becoming a man, it's like God offered us a summary of Himself. Jesus was accessible; He was something that we could grasp. 


It's like God wrote us a letter describing His heart, and He wrote it in a language that we could understand. And then He mailed that letter to us and let us read it, touch it, question it, and test it. Jesus is God's magnum opus.


My second point: We can know the heart of the Author by reading His Word.


###


If it isn't readily apparent by now, writing is my primary means of catharsis. However, as I remembered yesterday after clicking "publish" on a particularly bitter piece of prose, not all writing is worth sharing. 


If you happened to read yesterday's post before I ripped it from the interwebs, know that: 1) I'm sorry for dragging you through that, and 2) though it was perhaps momentarily honest, it was not a reflection of the person I want to be.


My third point: Writing is personal. You can know the heart of this author by reading my work. However, unlike God, whose attributes are knowable because His heart is unchanging, I still have a lot of growing left to do. Please consider all of my writing as part of an ongoing conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment