Friday, July 30, 2010

Beautiful People



Lately, I've had the opportunity to do some traveling for my current employment. It's been a welcoming adventure and I've had a ton of fun doing it. I've walked New Orleans and Lafayette, Louisiana and now Neshoba County, Mississippi. I've had the opportunity to get to know my colleagues better, taste amazing local cuisines, see Bourbon Street (my parents were right), and experienced a really fascinating county fair. I am so blessed.

The place that stuck a cord inside of me most was the Neshoba County Fair. I have fallen in love with Mississippi. I love its simplicity, peacefulness, generosity and warm hearts. The people were beautiful. They know how to enjoy a porch, sip some good iced tea, speak their minds and appreciate the present. I've lived in the city for a little over 4.5 years and have loved every moment of it. However, it's moments like these that help me to remember my roots and put me in touch with my inner being. I love taking time outs, talking, listening to the earth and people watching. I had the opportunity to do all of this at this fair.

These people reminded me that people matter, conversation matters, and family matters. I love how they come together one week out of the year to enjoy each others company. I hope my life will be apart of this or similar community.

This is Billy the family dog. It's a she and I loved holding and kissing her.

I met a lady named Priscilla. I walked right up to her and her friends and started conversing. She was so warm and they instantly adopted me. She asked me about my work, my education and how I managed to get where I am today. She instantly invited me to have dinner with her, her husband and friends. She even invited me and my coworker to spend the night in their cabin so we could get the full fair experience. It turned out that we couldn't have dinner with them due to work engagements. However, we stopped by her cabin to say hello and to thank her for the invitation. She and her family and friends were so kind. They invited us in, showed us around, talked about the day and expressed hope that we would run into each other tomorrow. I think the most beautiful thing about Priscilla, is that she, with out asking, cleaned off of red mud my shoes had splattered all over my legs. It was so kind and motherly. She reminded me of my grandmother.

Dear Priscilla,
Thank you for showing me kindness. It's been a while since I've seen it face to face. Thank you for reminding me people are beautiful.

Dear God,
Thank you for showing me people are beautiful. Thank you for opening up my eyes and for your little gifts here and there. You always amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment